Wednesday, January 13, 2010

43)

i.
Day 11 → A photo of you taken recently
Day 12 → Whatever tickles your fancy
Day 13 → A fictional book

"What came first – the music or the misery? Did I listen to music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to music? Do all those records turn you into a melancholy person? People worry about kids playing with guns, and teenagers watching violent videos; we are scared that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands – literally thousands – of songs about broken hearts and rejection and pain and misery and loss. The unhappiest people I know, romantically speaking, are the ones who like pop music the most; and I don’t know whether pop music has caused this unhappiness, but I do know that they’ve been listening to the sad songs longer than they’ve been living the unhappy lives."
high fidelity by nick hornby.

ii.
this last semester of college is really turning out to be a fun one! my second day of classes also went well... both classes are taught by professors i've had before, so i kind of knew what to expect. i'm pretty excited about early english lit; since i took that history of english course last semester, i already have a jump on the topic (we spent an extensive amount of time talking about old english and middle english... that was probably the first half-ish of the semester. we continued with the early modern period and then present day english. such an interesting class, seriously! i learned so much.)

in my american lit class, meanwhile, we're starting with the great gatsby--hooray! yes, dr. g, i will gladly pick up my favorite book once again. after gatsby, we are moving on to faulkner and hemingway; i'm reading so much good stuff and, with fourteen credits, i have quite a bit of time to enjoy it (time to immerse myself fully in words). i'm really happy with how my semester is panning out. i mean, i know it's early, but... everything is going so wonderfully. i'm really hoping for the best!

speaking of which... time for
some reading and peach tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment