Friday, January 4, 2013

228)

Last year, we rang in 2012 with style--a formal East Coast celebration in Charleston, South Carolina.


(Husband and I, before dinner and champagne--and the Champagne of Beers.)

This year, our celebrations were a little more low key, but definitely no less fun!  I worked until seven p.m. and hurried home to change clothes and get ready for the arrival of my dear sister, who has been up visiting from the Ozarks for the holiday season.  Once she arrived, I started working on dinner for us--the mister included--and after we "ate like grown ups" at the dining room table, we headed downstairs for the revelatory part of the evening.

And revelatory it was!  We had an awesome time hanging out, catching up, and drinking champagne.  We watched NYE coverage from NYC with Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffin on CNN, then switched to the local coverage after Eastern Standard Time midnight.  It's been a long time since I've laughed as hard as I did on New Year's Eve, and I am so happy that I was able to spend it with two of my favorite people in the world.





The next day, the first day of 2013, the mister had to work so Sister and I got up, bundled up under a lot of layers, and left for the train station.  We decided the best way to start off of the new year would be with a trip downtown, to the heart of my beloved city.  She hadn't been into Chicago in several years and I am always down for an adventure--it certainly was that! It was freezing, with wind chills in the single digits, but not all that bad, really, and we enjoyed ourselves thoroughly!  We started off with lunch at Corner Bakery, then walked up Michigan Avenue to Millennium Park.



From there, we walked to the lake...



And eventually we made our way up our set destination for the afternoon--Willis Tower (though you will forever be the Sears in my heart!)  Yes, we went up on the Skydeck and into those glass boxes and yes, it was terrifying, although not as bad as I thought... though at one point, I found myself looking 103 floors down through the glass floor, and yeah, that was a bit much, haha.  But it was awesome, and something I'm really glad we took the time to do.  Honestly, you can't beat the view from way up there!





After leaving the Skydeck, we made our way back to the train station, where we got some coffee before heading back to the suburbs.  It was an amazing day with my wonderful sister, and I am so lucky and glad that we were able spend it together celebrating 2013.  The new year has been pretty good to me so far... here's hoping the momentum continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment