Monday, March 25, 2013

239)


I know I've written of this before, but... sometimes, I am still surprised how much I have come to love running.  Honestly.  I have never been particularly athletic--I was on the Speech Team and played clarinet in the band--and even as I got older, I still didn't enjoy working out or any such related activities.  Walking and biking around campus, with occasional hikes at nearby forest preserves and state parks was fine with me.  Except that it wasn't, and even though I knew it, I had a hard time changing it.

Somewhere along the line, though, something clicked in me; suddenly, I wanted to be a runner, I wanted to accomplish something.  And though I've had some workouts that have been hard as hell, and there have been times that I wanted to quit, I always keep going, and so far, I haven't regretted it.

In fact, I am looking towards the future with bated breath.  As I may have mentioned previously, I am doing two Color Run races this summer--one in Chicago in June, and another in Milwaukee in August. These are the first 5k races that I've signed up for (I had planned on doing one last year, but life just didn't work out that way) and I am nervous, but so very excited.  I have a few months to train still and there is no doubt in my mind that I will be ready when the time comes.

Post Color Runs, though...  only time will tell.  If there are any other 5k race opportunities that come up, I may take them.  After all, there's a 5k on the 4th of July that goes right by my house!  As far as long term running goals, I am setting my sights high.  I've come so far already, so who's to say I can't take it even further?  That's why by next year, 2014, I want to run a half marathon.  13.1 miles is doable, I think, even if it freaks me out a little bit.  2015 will be the year of a marathon.

I know that it is going to take dedication, and hard work, and careful planning.  I know it's going to be a challenge, but I want to see how far I can make it.  I want to do it because I love to run--I love feeling free, finding a rhythm, and clearing my mind.  It's funny... if 15 year old Jess were reading this, she would probably be laughing her head off, but...  I think I always had it in me; I just needed to figure it out for myself.  Whether I end up running 5k's or marathons, though, I know I have found a lifelong addition to my life and daily routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment